The 4th Annual SEGSO Chicago Professional Weekend will be held Friday, October 2 – Saturday, October 3, 2015. This two-day tour will present the city from a structural engineering perspective, giving students an introduction to the local professional culture as well as the unique historic architecture and skyscrapers which comprise Chicago’s world-renowned skyline.
Download the weekend overview here
Download a trip summary PowerPoint presentation here.
Friday, October 2:
- Practitioner panel discussion session at Illini Center Chicago
- Networking lunch with practitioners from noteworthy Chicago engineering firms
- Walking tour of the Chicago Loop and office visits at participating firms
- Cocktail hour and dinner at Reza’s with recent graduates/young professionals
Saturday, October 3:
- Construction site visit: Chicago Riverwalk Improvements
- Wendella Architectural Boat Tour
- Free time in Downtown Chicago
The weekend schedule is available!
Cost & Registration
A participation fee of $50 will cover charter bus transportation from Urbana to Chicago and back, Friday catered lunch and banquet dinner, one night stay at the Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza in Downtown Chicago, and architectural boat tour—not to mention the opportunity for invaluable networking experience with major Chicago structural engineering/architectural firms!
Online registration will open on Friday, September 4, at 12:00 noon and will remain open until Thursday, September 10, at 5:30pm. Available spots will be filled on a ‘first come, first served’ basis, and will be limited to roughly the first 50 students to respond, so sign up early!
Preparing for the trip
More information coming soon!
Here are some items which may be of interest to you as you prepare for the trip on Friday! Please review them before we depart.
- List of participating companies
- Detailed schedule and logistics
- Survival guide: What to bring? What not to bring?
Please print, sign, and bring with you on the bus: