The 3rd Annual SEGSO Chicago Professional Weekend will be held Friday, September 26 – Saturday, September 27, 2014. This two-day tour will present the city from a structural engineering perspective, giving students an introduction to the local professional culture as well as the unique historic architecture and skyscrapers which comprise Chicago’s world-renowned skyline.
Check out photos from our trip, courtesy of Prof. Dan Abrams!
Download a trip summary PowerPoint presentation here.
Friday, September 26:
- Practitioner panel discussion session at Illini Center Chicago
- Networking lunch with practitioners from noteworthy Chicago engineering firms
- Walking tour of the Chicago Loop and office visits at participating firms
- Cocktail hour and dinner at Pazzo’s@101 with recent graduates/young professionals
Saturday, September 27:
- Wendella Architectural Boat Tour
- Free time in Downtown Chicago
- Construction site visit*
* pending practitioner participation
You can download the most up-to-date detailed weekend schedule in PDF format here.
Cost & Registration
A participation fee of $50 will cover charter bus transportation from Urbana to Chicago and back, Friday catered lunch and banquet dinner, one night stay at the Hampton Majestic in Downtown Chicago, and architectural boat tour—not to mention the opportunity for invaluable networking experience with major Chicago structural engineering/architectural firms!
Online registration will open on Friday, September 5, at 9:00am, so stay posted for a link to the registration forms right here! Registration will remain open until Tuesday, September 9, at 5:30pm. Available spots will be filled on a first come, first served basis, and will be limited to roughly the first 48 students to respond, so sign up early!
Registration has officially closed!
Preparing for the trip
Here are some items which may be of interest to you as you prepare for the trip on Friday! Please review them before we depart.
- List of participating companies
- Detailed itinerary and logistics
- Map of important locations and Chicago attractions
- Survival guide: What to bring? What not to bring?
Please print, sign, and bring with you on the bus: